Fribourg Cathedral is a religious monument built between 1283 and 1490 and was only named cathedral in 1924. It was previously known as St. Nicholas’ Collegiate Church. It is at this time that the diocese of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg was created to replace the bishopric of Lausanne which had ended abruptly in 1536 with the invasion of the Pays de Vaud by the Bernese and the bishop’s flight to Savoy.
There is a small car park at the roundabout in front of the cathedral, otherwise the Alps car park is a little further away but larger.
The entrance porch is built at the end of the 14th century and is decorated with stone sculptures.
The cathedral of Friburg offers beautiful volumes and one can admire its stained glass windows, its ceiling or its organ.
The highlight of the visit is the 80-metre-high tower at the top of the tower, which can be reached for the price of CHF 5.00 after climbing the 365 steps of the spiral staircase.
At the top of the cathedral, one can enjoy a beautiful view of the whole city of Fribourg as well as the Fribourg pre-Alps like the Moléson in the distance. Several well-designed orientation tables help the visitor to recognize the surrounding landscape.
The tower is closed in winter.
Fribourg old town
The Old Town of Fribourg consists of the following districts:
- Bourg (partly)
Cathedrals of Western Switzerland
There are 4 cathedrals in French-speaking or Western Switzerland:
The most beautiful cathedral is undoubtedly that of Lausanne on the hill of the Cité.
A drone video on the Fribourg cathedral.
Webcam on the Fribourg old town.