The cathedral of Lausanne is located in the heights of the town on the Cité hill near the Saint-Maire castle and next to the Old Bishop’s Palace. It is one of the largest cathedrals in Switzerland along with those of Bern, Geneva and Fribourg and it is the most beautiful in the country. It was built between 1170 and 1235 almost 200 years before the Saint-Maire Castle.
The magnificent model exhibited at the Historical Museum of Lausanne.
Parking next to the Saint-Maire castle or at the Riponne underground car park.
The cathedral of Lausanne impresses with its elegant appearance. In particular, it has a large and magnificent rose window, an access portal decorated with statues and two towers, the belfry tower at 67 m and the lantern tower at 80 m. Inside, one can admire the height of the vault, the stained glass windows and a magnificent custom-built organ which cost 6 million francs.
A visit to the belfry which houses the 7 bells of the cathedral is worthwhile and allows you to enjoy a beautiful view of the Lake Geneva basin, the Fribourg pre-Alps as well as the Valais and French Alps after an ascent of 224 steps. The belfry houses an original curiosity with the presence of a watchman who, since the 15th century, shouts out the time. Nowadays this is done only between 10pm and 2am.
A drone video in the cathedral.
A drone video inside the cathedral.
Webcam on the Bessière bridge next to the cathedral.