- 1 Martigny Tourist Train
- 2 Weather
- 3 Access
- 4 The train’s routes
- 5 Rates
- 6 The City Tour
- 6.1 Central square
- 6.2 Church of Notre-Dame de la Visitation
- 6.3 Old covered bridge
- 6.4 Castle of Bâtiaz
- 6.5 Rhone Valley
- 6.6 Dranse river
- 6.7 St-Michel Martigny-Bourg Church
- 6.8 Moulin Semblanet
- 6.9 Martigny-Bourg train station
- 6.10 Amphitheatre
- 6.11 Barryland
- 6.12 Gianadda Fundation
- 6.13 Tepidarium
- 6.14 Ice Rink
- 6.15 Roman ruins
- 6.16 Protestant Temple
- 6.17 Morand Liquors
- 7 Video
- 8 Webcam
- 9 Facebook
- 10 Related attractions
Martigny Tourist Train
The little train of Martigny, called the “Baladeur” (Walkman), offers two routes through the city from the central square (Place centrale).
The Manoir’s underground and paid parking is located near the central square.
The train’s routes
Two routes are proposed by the small train of Martigny in summer that leave and return south of the central square.
- The City Tour
Centrale Square (Place centrale) – Castle of Bâtiaz – Semblanet Mill – Barryland – Fondation Gianadda
- The Baladeur Splash
Castle of Batiaz – Western City – Monstrofun – Train station
The Torpille team recommends the City Tour that allows you to discover the city of Martigny. The Baladeur Splash tour can be used to get to Western City.
The prices of the little train are as follows:
- Adult: 8 francs
- Child (5 to 16 years old): 4 francs
- Senior: 6 francs
Tickets are valid all day long, so you can get off at a stop and get back on the train later.
The City Tour
The Torpille team lists below the different places that the Baladeur travels through. The photos are the views that can be seen from the little train.
The central square is built in 1818 shortly after the Gietroz disaster, which took place approximately at the site of the current Mauvoisin dam. An ice dam that formed a lake broke and the released water flooded the Val de Bagnes to Martigny.
Church of Notre-Dame de la Visitation
The church of Notre-Dame de la Visitation is built in the 17th century on the foundation of the first cathedral in the Valais dating from the 4th century. It has the highest bell tower in the Valais with a height of 50 metres.
Old covered bridge
The old covered bridge of Martigny was washed away by the debacle of the Gietroz in 1818, rebuilt in 1829 and then covered.
Castle of Bâtiaz
The Castle of Bâtiaz, built in the 13th and 14th centuries, offers a high keep from which one can enjoy a magnificent view.
A beautiful view of the Rhône valley leading to Sion.
The Dranse River collects the waters of the Val de Bagnes to flow into the Rhône at Martigny.
St-Michel Martigny-Bourg Church
St-Michel Church is a concrete structure built in 1968.
The Semblanet Mill is the oldest working mill in French-speaking Switzerland. It can be visited on request.
Martigny-Bourg train station
Martigny-Bourg station on the Val de Bagnes line and managed by TMR, Transports de Martigny et Régions SA.
The Martigny amphitheatre was built at the beginning of the 2nd century by the Romans. At that time the city was called “Forum Claudii Vallensium” and followed its Celtic name of Octodure, better known nowadays.
Barryland is a museum and a breeding ground for Saint Bernard dogs in Martigny.
Gianadda Foundation is a structure dedicated to the presentation of artistic works.
The tepidarium is the Roman thermal baths where you can take warm baths.
Roman ruins that remind us of the Roman presence. The archaeological walk of Martigny allows you to discover all the ruins of the Roman period.
The Protestant temple built in 1932. In 1890, Martigny had only 60 people of the Protestant faith.
Morand is known for the production of eau-de-vie and especially the famous “Williamine” made from Valais pears.
A video about the Martigny little train.
Webcam on the central square of Martigny where the little train starts and ends.