The castle of Nyon was built in the 13th century by the Cossonay-Prangins family. It was taken over by the House of Savoy in 1293, which undertook work to improve it. In 1536, it was occupied by the Bernese during the conquest of the Pays de Vaud, who in turn undertook major works, but this time more to symbolize their power than for military reasons, including the construction of the large square tower, called the Bailiff’s Tower.
At the end of the 16th century the castle of Nyon has its present appearance. Since 1804, shortly after Vaud independence, it has belonged to the commune of Nyon and is the only important castle in Western Switzerland that is covered with white plaster. Since 1888, the castle, whose entrance is in the basement, has housed the historical and porcelain museum and its interior is no longer of historical interest. As was often the case with other castles in Western Switzerland, it has housed a prison and a court. Its outer ramparts were removed in the 19th century.
Landscape from the castle
On a clear day, it is possible to enjoy a magnificent view of the Fribourg Pre-Alps, the Vaud, Valais and French Alps. Other museums are located in the immediate vicinity of the castle of Nyon, the Léman Museum and the Roman Museum of Nyon.
Une vidéo en drone sur le château de Nyon.
Webcam dans la ville de Nyon.