The castle of Yverdon is a castle in the city of the same name.
Parking places next to the castle.
The construction of the castle of Yverdon begins in 1235 by a circular tower under the orders of Amédée de Montfaucon, Lord of Orbe. It was quickly bought by the Savoyards and Peter II in 1265 to serve as a support point for the control of the Pays de Vaud. The castle is at this moment enlarged to find itself with its current quadrancular form known as the “Savoyard square” as, for example, to the castles of Morges or Bulle. The castle was set on fire in the Burgundian Wars at the end of the 15th century and then conquered in 1536 by the Bernese. Following the Vaudois revolution in 1798, it became the property of the new canton of Vaud and was finally sold to the town of Yverdon. At its construction, the castle was surrounded by an exterior wall that has now disappeared.
Even though the exterior is well preserved, the interior that houses the Yverdon and Region Museum no longer has its original appearance and is therefore uninteresting from the point of view of the fortified castle. Two pretty castle models, near the reception, make you realize the appearance of the castle in the Savoy and Bernese days.